Building Services handles all building permitting and inspections for construction activity and development. Within Building Services, Code Enforcement enforces various City ordinances for the benefit of all residences and visitors. Planning and Zoning functions are also administered from this diverse department.
Carl Conley is the current Building Official. He is working on a part-time basis after retiring from Texarkana, Arkansas, where he was Public Works Director for 10 and a half years. Carl also worked in Shreveport, Louisiana for 25 years in Planning, Community Development, Engineering, and lastly at the Building Official.
Mr. Conley's responsibilities include:
- Issuing Building Permits
- Building Inspections
- Working with citizens to rezone property
- Working with the Planning and Zoning Commission on their cases
Dorsey Askew is the Code Enforcement Officer. He came to work for the City of Hope on August 22, 2016. Mr. Askew holds a Master Electrician's License and is a chicken farmer.
Mr. Askew's responsibilities include:
- Enforcement of Hope's Codes
- Plumbing, electric, HVAC, and gas inspections and assisting with Building Inspections
- Enforcement of the Hope Property Maintenance Ordinance
Current Codes adopted by the City of Hope
- 2012 Arkansas Fire Prevention Code
- Volume 1 - Fire
- Volume 2 - Building
- Volume 3 - Residential
- 2018 Arkansas Plumbing Code
- 2018 Arkansas Fuel Gas Code
- 2010 Arkansas Mechanical Code
- 2014 Arkansas Energy Code for New Building Construction
- 2020 National Electric Code
Building Services / Enforcement Ordinances
Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting SchedulePlanning Commission schedule